Italian Wedding Soup
Makes 8 servings
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1.5 pounds meatloaf mix
¾ cup plain dry gf bread crumbs
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 heads escarole or curly endive, coarsely chopped
8 cups chicken broth
1 can (about 14 ounces) Italian plum tomatoes chopped, juice reserved
3 fresh thyme sprigs
1 tsp salt
½ tsp red pepper flakes
1 cup uncooked acini pepe pasta (I used gf ditalini)
- For meatballs, whisk eggs, 2 cloves garlic, 1 tsp salt and black pepper in large bowl until blended. Stir in meat loaf mix, bread crumbs and cheese; mix gently until well blended. Shape mixture by tablespoonfuls into 1 inch balls.
- Heat oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook meatballs in batches 5 minutes or until browned. Remove to plate, set aside.
- I Cook Gluten free pasta separate from soup and then I rinse and add in step 5.
- For Soup, add onion, carrots and 4 cloves garlic to saucepan; cook and stir 5 minutes or until onion is lightly browned. Add escarole, cook 2 min or until wilted. Stir in broth, tomatoes with juice, thyme, 1 tsp salt and red pepper flakes, bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium- low; cook 15 min.
- Add meatballs and pasta (if using regular pasta no need to precook and rinse) to soup; return to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook 10 minutes or until pasta is tender. Remove thyme sprigs before serving.